Permanent Residence Permit

What is a PRP ?

It is a Permit issued to a person authorising one to reside in Malawi permanently.

Who may apply?

A foreign national who wish to reside in Malawi permanently, foreign wives of Malawians, elderly people who would wishes to spend their life after retirement in Malawi, (people of assured income) over aged dependants of Permanent Resident Permit Holder, any person who has been ordinarily resident in Malawi for a period not less than five years.

How and where do I apply for the permit ?

One can apply by submitting a PRP application form and supporting documents /information at the Immigration Headquarters or Regional Immigration Offices for processing upon payment of the processing fees.

What will happen when I make my application?

The application will be submitted to the Minister for decision. Once a decision is made you will be formally notified if your application has been approved or rejected. If approved one will be required to pay the appropriate fees within 30 days of notification.